PIP (Picture in Picture) for WoW -- with toggles!

Using HotkeyNet with World of Warcraft.

Re: PIP (Picture in Picture) for WoW -- with toggles!

Postby BW~Merlin on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:55 am

BW~Merlin, dumbing down HotketNet since two days ago :S :oops:
BW~Merlin

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 am

BW~Merlin, dumbing down HotketNet since two days ago :S

Hey, I've been dumbing it down for two years!

By the way, when Microsoft first introduced "full screen mode" (which is a DirectX thing) it was called "exclusive mode."

Exclusive means the screen belongs to that one process alone, and no other process can touch the screen. That rules out PIP since with PIP, you put two or more processes on the screen at the same time.

If Microsoft had kept the original name "exclusive mode," then it would be pretty obvious that you have to switch to windowed mode for PIP. But a few years ago they changed the name to "full screen" mode. I guess they thought it's easier for people to understand. But actually I think it confuses people because they can't understand the difference between "full screen mode" and maximizing a window. Those two things are very different.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby skewbiesnacks on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks for all the help with this Freddie.....downloading 138 now and will give it a try here in a few minutes to see if my original coding was correct....would be nice to know. I'm very excited by this and will be able to post a nice screenie for you here soon if you want.
skewbiesnacks

Postby skewbiesnacks on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:51 am

Still no luck it seems on the dual PiP display. Here is a new error that I get using the same code that I posted earlier.

<SetWinRegion 1055 615 375 260> failed: operating system GetWindowRgn function failed; Windows reports system error 5, "Access is denied."
<SetWinRegion 10 615 375 260> failed: operating system GetWindowRgn function failed; Windows reports system error 5, "Access is denied."

Not sure what that means, but hoping that you do.

Thanks again for the help !!
skewbiesnacks

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:30 am

Did you not get that error before? Are you using Vista?
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby skewbiesnacks on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:34 am

no errors before,vista home premium
skewbiesnacks

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am

I just tested with WoW on XP, and it works fine. Here's the test file I used:

Code: Select all
<Hotkey F1>
<TargetForegroundWin>
<SetWinRegion 20 20 100 100>
<SetWinRegion 200 200 100 100>

<Hotkey F2>
<TargetForegroundWin>
<SetWinRegion none>

If it's Vista it's likely a privilege problem. I would make sure HotkeyNet is running as administrator. Or it could be a mistake of some kind in your hotkey file.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:03 am

I just tried on Vista. I can't get it to work. I'll fool around with it some more tomorrow.

I've been thinking for a while of adding a command to HotkeyNet for these purposes called <GiveDebugPrivilegesToHotkeyNet> which would elevate its privileges to very high levels. It might solve some of these privilege problems with Vista. (This is different from attaching a process as a debuggee which would undoubtedly set off Warden and get accounts banned.)
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:27 pm

I tried a few things today but couldn't get this to work in Vista. I posted questions about it on a couple of forums where knowledgeable programmers hang out. Maybe somebody will tell me a way to do it. If not, I'll change the command so it looks like this:

Code: Select all
<SetWinRegion X Y X Y,  X Y X Y,  X Y X Y ...>  // DOESN'T WORK WITH CURRENT PROGRAM

In other words, you'll be able to do a bunch of holes with a single call. This will allow me to avoid the operating system function that's causing the problem. But first let me see if I can get the existing code to work.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby skewbiesnacks on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm

OK. Thank you again very much for all your help with this. This will be a very very nice feature once it's done.
skewbiesnacks

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft